Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Ginger Bread Houses and Traditions

Last night our original plan was to go ice skating for Family Night but none of us wanted to brave the cold.  Besides Olivia didn't take a nap so she was sent to bed promptly at 6:30!  We did what I never thought I would do, buy ginger bread kits!   Ahhh! Oh the shame of it all.  While we could have bought way more supplies for our money I do have to say I was a fan of the kits.  Zero planning ahead of time (this is usually my downfall to most things), easy clean up (ie no dishes) and no left over candy (I hate it when there is candy in the house, it turns the kids into begging monsters!)

Ryan and Jack were a "team".


Kaitlynn and I were a team.  Since I was documenting, she went kind of solo for most of the event.


Working on their ginger bread man.



 I saw him stick his fingers in his mouth often.





House put together, time to decorate.


Jack spent most of his time sampling rather than working.


Oh Christmas Tree, oh Christmas Tree.


Ryan was going for an icicle look but it looked more haunted and halloweeny to me.  The sliding roof and half eaten ginger bread man didn't help.





I think he was trading out a piece of candy, he wanted to eat the one on the house.


Kaitlynns master piece!  The ginger bread girl has a pony tail.


Left over frosting.  This may be why at nine that night she came out of her room saying she had a tummy ache.


The pretty girls with the pretty house.


The crazy boys with the crazy house.  The roof slid completely off of theirs.


Jack wanted to lay down for the pictures.








Then the tornado hit.


The house was flattened.  I guess thats what happens when you live out here!  Really it was quite funny they were sitting there posing for pictures when it just fell apart.


We started a new family tradition.  I saw some other people do this and then saw it on one of the blogs I love to look at thedillspiel.blogspot.com and loved the idea.  For our advent count down to Christmas we open a new book every day.  


Then predictably Christmas Eve we will open the scriptures and read the Christmas story.  We are pretty excited about this tradition and hope it is one the kids will love too.  Some just get books from the library so it wouldn't have to be another expense for the season.  We personally liked the idea of investing in the books because we love the idea of a home full of books.  Not all of the books are Christmasy either. 

Last night was a Christmas I Spy book.  We could only do two pages as a family before it was time for bed.  Jack has been working hard on the book all day waiting for his sister to get home from school to show her all the things he has found.  

   


2 comments:

Bartholomew Family said...

Such a cute pic at the top of your blog! I can't believe how big Olivia is. Do you think she even knows us? I love gingerbread houses and all of the fun traditions of this time of year. Looks like you guys are having fun! :)

Kirsta Silvey said...

Nice family picture! Well done! I'm still bummed about ours getting puked/snowed/birthed out. Ah well, maybe next year I'll try again? You just reminded me that I wanted to do a book advent thingy for Christmas. I decided I wanted to do it last year, and then I promptly forgot until now. Boo on me, but yay for you. Also, I love Jack/Ryan's gingerbread house.